It is a continual heartache when local communities turn down the funding
which enables the public libraries to remain open long hours.  The problem
is that the public libraries are dependent on the public; B&N is, too, but
it makes a profit that enables it to pay the staff to keep the place open.
I love the library atmosphere that the super stores have achieved.  I could
spend hours there reading; and no one would interrupt me.  If I chose, I
could read entire books there, as well as magazines, and no one would care.
The public library is the same way, but the doors are open only as long as
the staff is allowed to be there.  Librarians and staff need to live, too,
and the workman, as scripture aptly says, is worth his/her hire.
        I contend that we need to educate the future voters so that they
will see the need to fund the libraries through their votes and taxes.  The
libraries are the national treasures in every community  which enable people
to educate themselves for the evolving technologies.
        pax.  Sr.MV
--
Sister Mary Veronica,CHS      "Give what you have to someone -
Xavier High School             it may be greater than you dare

LM_NET Archive Home