On 4 Jun 1996, Sister MaryVeronica wrote:

> It is a continual heartache when local communities turn down the funding
> which enables the public libraries to remain open long hours.  The problem
> is that the public libraries are dependent on the public; B&N is, too, but
> it makes a profit that enables it to pay the staff to keep the place open.
> I love the library atmosphere that the super stores have achieved.

AMEN!  We have to realize that we must show people what we offer.  While
you can sit and read and enjoy coffee on a comfortable sofa--there is no
reference help.  The children's programs at our B&N (can't speak for
everyhwere--but imagine it is the same as most chains are) are not good.
Children's literature is overwhelmed with just the pulp kinds of
things...Disney, Stine, etc...which I have not problem with in fact I buy
them for my library...but I constantly encourage--and bring out the really
deep and wonderful things in children's lit---the person who does the
stories --is not a storyteller--or a children's lit lover...the "goofy
fairy"  it was something like that is irritatingly condescending---

What I am saying is that we offer more than B&N whose primary motivation
is money!  But we need to learn a lot about marketing from them.  How
many librarians cringe at the idea of people bringing a drink and
sitting and reading---I've always wondered what they think people do with
their book when they take it home!  We must evangelize people at every
opportunity!  We must become the delivery point for Internet access for
those in the community who have no computers!

All of this requires a lot--a huge learning curve for us--who have not
had to deal with the issues related to this technology, the people issues
-- AUP's and access to pornographic materials---  It is in our hands --
are we up to the challenge?

Are we really ready to invite the obnoxious, grungy teens, struggling
teen parents, and the people that need our services most into our
libraries....??

> and the workman, as scripture aptly says, is worth his/her hire.
>         I contend that we need to educate the future voters so that they
> will see the need to fund the libraries through their votes and taxes.  The
> libraries are the national treasures in every community  which enable people
> to educate themselves for the evolving technologies.

Well said.  There is another Scripture, Sister Veronica, that I think we
all need to read.  It is the troubling story of the Vineyard workers.
We need to focus less on what other professions make and how unfair it
is for us to have to learn all these new technologies.  These are hard
things to face---we are all tired--we all do extra -- way beyond what
is called for in our contracts.  But if Libraries are going to survive
we must look at these issues.  Let's also think of ways to combine
activities of public and school libraries in areas where there is not the
population to support both!

Karen McIntyre  "Learn to listen to your own voice and balance your
Morton I.S.D.    terror with your confidence."  Richard Wurman
500 Champion Dr.                                Information Anxiety
Morton, TX  79346       806-266-5524            kmcintyr@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home