I heard this story while driving into work and there was an interview
with the woman arrested.

She had kept the books six months and the delinquency was turned over
to the town. A municipal ordinance was cited and the municipal
proscecutor refused to drop the charges when the books were finally
returned. If I recall, the town was in Duchess County, New York.

Dan Robinson
drobinson@info.hwwilson.com

> That story about the overdue books and the library has some of the earmarks
> of an urban legend. We need to remember that news broadcasters love to find a
> story which has a sensational twist, and are inclined to publish without too
> much checking. What are the facts in this story?
>
> [snipped]
> Helen Seagraves  Hood River, OR  Hcgraves@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home