At the different buildings in our district, we have several ways
to keep track of patron barcodes.  Here, at the high school, the
students are responsible for theirs.  We place the barcodes on the
back of the student ID cards.  Of course, some are lost or new
ID cards are issued when a schedule is changed (we're not a closed
campus for juniors and seniors, and the student's lunch period
and first or last period study hall is indicated on the card).
If we don't have a duplicate barcode and don't have time to issue
a new number, we do a quick patron name search on the system.  At
the middle school, a rolodex file with the student barcodes is
kept at the circulation desk.  At the primary and intermediate
schools a looseleaf notebook with clear plastic card holders are
kept at the circulation desk.  The grade levels are color coded
with index cards and the student's name and barcode are mounted
separately on each card and slipped into the plastic holder.
Holders are arranged by classrooms for quick access.  At the
elementary level, when the students move from the primary to
the intermediate building, the cards follow along to that
media center.  I hope my description makes sense to you and
I hope it helps someone.  We all seem to be continually feeling
our way and adapting to whatever new situations are thrown at
us.

I wish everyone a wonderful summer -- one filled with whatever
you enjoy doing, whether it is reading (of course!), traveling,
gardening, etc.

--
Karen Naftzger          (gk751@cleveland.freenet.edu)
Rocky River High School