What an amazing community LM_NET is!  To date, I've received
over 350 messages of support, care, and concern re: my 2/26
posting about not being rehired for next year because I am
"too expensive" (read: years of experience = high on the
salary scale) and "resistant to change" because I did not
agree with the architect's suggestions for the expansion of
the school library.  (Best message: "If you're resistant to
change, how can you be on LM_NET?!")
Ironically, it was all that experience in the real world that
made me so valuable to the teachers, and also more aware of
what was needed than the architect.  Experience (and knowledge
gained from LM_NET) also gave me the confidence and ability to
do the job I was originally hired for... and to speak up (even
disputing the stupidintendent if necessary) for what I believe in.
So I've made a very risky decision:  to turn my experience and
beliefs into a free-lance career:
I'm going to use 6 months of unemployment insurance as a
personal sabbatical:  to complete the 2 books Linworth Publishing
wants from me, and to offer myself as a speaker/consultant to
any associations, organizations, districts, etc. that might be
interested in my expertise with Library / Information Skills
Education (for students, teachers, and librarians).
If you've got any possibilities or suggestions for me, please
contact me at:
Alice H. Yucht,  aka  "Alice & InfoLand"
(I know it's cutesy, but it's easy to remember)
141 North 7th Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904
phone: 908-572-0173
email: AliceInfo@aol.com or Yucht@scils.rutgers.edu
(this account self-destructs in June.)

Wish me luck!!!   And if we can meet at ALA, I'd love to
thank you in person for all your warmth, care, and
encouragement -- both to me, and to our profession.

Alice

LM_NET Archive Home