Okay... I think I have to add my penny's worth about Stine's Goosembumps.

While I acknolwedge that his books may not be the most fantastic literature
around, many of the stories are gripping and the excitement level is high.

I work with profoundly deaf students who struggle with the reading of
English.  Trying to get them to "connect" with a book is a real challenge.
Getting them to read independently is even more of a challenge.

I can quite honestly say that my students have *never* been hooked on a
novel, let alone an author...  About  a year ago I read "Go eat worms" to
one of my classes.  They were engrossed after the first chapter.  That set
in motion a line of students literally queuing up to borrow other Stine
books from our collection..  Students who had never attempted reading a
novel before were suddenly trying to read his books.  Our students were
completely hooked.

If that is not a recommendation, I don't know what is!!  For all the young
readers between the age of 8 and 15 who are queuing up to read his books, I
applaud Stine and congratulate him for his success.

Bev Novak                   _--_|\
                           /      \
novak@netoptions.com.au   |        |
Melbourne, Australia.      \_.--.*/