I quite agree with your comments on Goosebumps. I'm at a mostly Hispanic
school and many of our kids are VERY reluctant readers...we have lots of
5th graders who won't check out anything except Clifford. I bought
multiple copies of Goosebumps from Perma-Bound and I can't keep them on
the shelf.  My 5th grade ESL & bi-lingual teachers say that DEAR time
isn't nearly the struggle it used to be, and at lunch I see lots of kids
with their nose in them, totally engrossed.

Literary they aren't...but they sure get kids excited about reading-- and
isn't that our main job?
Guusje

                           Guusje Moore
                 Librarian, Housman Elementary School