Melissa -

Your teacher may be looking for "rhetorical" -- a question asked for
effect rather than to elicit an answer.

OTOH, the "tree falling" question depends upon how you define sound. If
sound is the vibration of the tympanic membrane, then there is no sound
(no ear to hear.) If sound (as my high school physics teacher defined it
- you can tell how well that was drilled into my brain!) is defined as "a
vibration in an elastic medium _capable_ of causing an auditory
sensation" then yes there is sound, regardless of the presence of an ear.

Joyce Conklin                      jconkli@ed.co.sanmateo.ca.us
Hillsdale High School
San Mateo CA  94403-3819

On Thu, 2 May 1996, Melissa L Overmire wrote:

> Dear reference gurus and brainy types alike,
> A teacher has asked me to find out what the word is that describes a
> question with no answer?
> I.E. If a tree fell in the woods and no one was there to hear it would it
> make a sound? or What is the sound of one hand clapping? I know, this
> makes no sense.  HE seems (the teacher) to think that there is a word for
> questions like those. Have no idea where to look, I am stumped!
> reply to movermir@mailer.fsu.edu
> Thanks
> M.Overmire

LM_NET Archive Home