On Thu, 30 May 1996, Audrey Glick wrote:

> I expect, like, "go away, I'm busy now."  I then invite them to interrupt
> me.  Not many adults will make such an offer to kids, but I explain that
> I'm ALWAYS busy and if they wait until I'm not, they will wait forever.

Great idea! I had not thought of telling high school students that, but it
doesn't hurt to remind them.  However, I *do* watch and if after most
students have settled down with their sources and there are still 2 or 3
floating around, I go and ask them.  High school students also will not
always ask for help.  Sometimes they are just not focused and when they
discover that I am there at their elbows, they *do* suddenly focus and get
busy!

An aside:  I have a reputation for being VERY consistent. This year the
school had to make a rule that boys may NOT wear their pants so low that
the crotch of their pants is down at their knees.  I've been so emphatic
about that rule in the library that when I pass them in the hall, they
start pulling their pants up!  Now, mind, I'm not *grouchy*, I just don't
yield! :-)

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home