LM_NET Colleagues,
        A couple of days ago someone questioned source for a text to learn
Gaelic.  I forwarded the message to someone not on the listserv who might
know.  Below is her response.  Unfortunately I had deleted the message
after I forwarded it, so I hope the person needing it will see this
response.

Kathy Fencil
tkfencil@mcn.net
2622 Normal Ave.
Billings, MT 59102

Kathy,

    All she has to do is go to the nearest Borders (or if that chain of
bookstores isn't in her vicinity, she could probably order it through a
bookstore) and ask for a book that comes with a set of tapes--they have
it in Scottish Gaelic as well as in Irish--hmmmm, what is it? Um, I
think it is called *Beginning Teach Yourself Gaelic* (Scottish) and
*Beginning Teach Yourself Irish Gaelic*. I lent my copy to a friend who
has taken it with her to Canada for the next 2 weeks, so I can't check
it at the moment for the rest of the publication info.
    She could also try getting in touch with the Language Books and
Travel Store in Bethesda, MD; they do have an 800 number but I lost it.
They are very helpful and nice, and I know they have it, because I saw
it there in July.
    If she has internet capability, she can try inquiring of the
internet.listserv.gaelic-l list, which has on-line lessons in the Gaelic
languages. If she can get into the World-Wide Web, and does a search
under Irish, she'll pull up a whole bunch of pages, including a number
which have information on books and tapes (I'm not sure at what age
level), and, what I have bookmarked but can't get at (the server is down
at the moment, or I'd tell you the address right now), a daily word in
Irish Gaelic--the guy who puts it on also gives the pronunciation,
several examples sentences, and similar words in other Celtic languages.
    She can also try getting in touch with the nearest Irish center,
which if not offering classes, should be able to tell her sources of
books and tapes, etc. Or, if she is near a large college/university, she
could check with their language dept. Here in Pgh, the University of
Pittsburgh has had Irish offered for several years, and this year is
trying out a Scottish Gaelic class--once John is out of grad school, I
hope to take it next year!

    Hope this is helpful!

    Is the little girl interested in learning some of the dances? Or in
the tales? I could make some suggestions about Irish folktale
books.....What's her name?

                                    Fai/lte,

                                        --Barra

Kathleen H. Fencil