Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996
From: Laurel Indalecio
Children's Librarian
Public Library
Honolulu, HI
To:  pubyac@nysernet.org
Subject: HAWAII SPEAKS AND ASKS FOR YOUR HELP!!

The majority of the state librarians
are outraged over the contract that was established between
the Hawaii State Public Library System (HSPLS) and Baker &
Taylor. I will not go into everything that has happened, but
I will mention a few things.

We had centralized processing.  All of our books were selected
within the state and processed here.  Now B&T does it.
Each library selected the books they wanted, catering their
collection to the needs of their patrons.  Now we receive books
we don't want or need.

Gift donations sit uncataloged because we do not have anyone
to catalog the books.  I personally have asked for permission to
do cataloging but the password for that function in our new
DYNIX system is a big secret. I guess I'm not worthy!?!
Our former catalogers have been put into public service.
A select few are allowed to do a little cataloging but
cannot handle the needs for an entire state with 49 branches.

We have received almost no YA books, the children's books
that we have received run along the lines of historical fiction.
A few of these are necessary but not a whole lot.  In my library, they sit on
the shelf.

Hawaii is a unique state where every ethnic group is a minority.Only about
25% of our population is Caucasian. Only the individual libraries can
possibly know what their patrons want.  We filled out profiles but they are
not being looked at we assume,based on what we are getting.  Baker & Taylor
claims that the books we are getting now were selected during the period when
contract negotiations were being conducted for the DYNIX automation system.
 They claim that they did not have access to our database.  All they had to
do was dial-in to our online catalog, which was up and running the whole
time.