Hello - we're completing a new high school which will have lots of technology
and be quite "snazzy"...part of the plan is to integrate the facility into
the community.  The new LMC, which should seat 250 and have lots of
e-connectivity, will be one of the "integrated" places.  I've been asked
by the superintendant to work with the PL director to "make this happen".

The PL is very interested in having the schools join LEAP, the consortium
to which they belong.  I understand and agree philosophically that our
new facility needs to be open to the community, but I'm very concerned
about the practicalities of making this work...

I'm wondering if any other school systems in the state have joined
consortiums like LEAP or have other kinds of collaborations with their PLs.
What issues should be be aware of?  What are the pitfalls that we can
work to circumvent?

Issues I've thought of are cost, staffing, loan of materials, responsibility
for equipment, ability to purchase cataloging (ISBN or LCCN access points
vs. OCLC) from vendors such as Follett, record entry, types of reports,
record keeping.  The LEAP system is a  Dynix system.

Thanks...I appreciate any and all input...moving into a new school...
embracing new philosophies AND integrating w. the PL has me a bit over-
whelmed ... input from folks in the field would certainly help my
perspective!

Julie Hulten, LMC
East Haven HS

please put my name in the subject field - this is a system wide account
or
reply to deweyx2@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home