A fourth grade student who has been reading "Ginger Pye" read the following
passage and asked me what "I" books are.

"It was a Friday evening and Jerry and Rachel had been sitting, reading, on
the little upstairs veranda of their tall house.  Rachel had 'The Secret
Garden' from the library, and Jerry had one of the Altsheler books, and
neither one of these books was an 'I' book.  They both always opened a book
eagerly and suspicously looking first to see whether or not it was an 'I'
book.  If it were they would put it aside, not reading it until there was
absolutely nothing else.  Then, at last, they would read it.  But, being an
'I' book, it had to be awfully good for them to like it.  Only a few,
'Robinson Crusoe,' 'Treasure Island,' and 'Swiss Family Robinson,' for
example, survived the hard 'I' book test.  These were among their best
beloved in spite of the obvious handicap."

Anyone know what an "I" book is?  I told the classroom teacher I'd ask the
experts on the Internet.  Thanks in advance.

Cathy Retzer
Medford Elementary
Medford, WI
medforcr@llwisc.wecb.org