I wonder if the problem may be the public perception of what a librarian is.
Last week I had a parent (well-educated) ask me if I had to go to college to
be a librarian. When I said that I had all the way through a master's program,
she asked "What on earth could you study?" I'm used to students asking that
question, but this parent floored me! But, if they can't see why a college
education is necessary, then anyone who works in the library is a "librarian".
My two cents worth.
Nancy
Nancy Reed
St. Mary Middle/High School