Hello Group,

We have finally settled on a pretty good library card method.  The first
year we used cards, they were strictly library cards. We printed out the
barcodes and ordered the self laminating, pre-printed library cards from
Highsmith.  Then all we had to do was stick the barcode on it and fold
the laminating film over the top.  Many were lost or washed in jeans.

The next year, students had student ID cards and we asked to put our
barcodes on the back of those before they were processed through the
heat/hard plastic machine designed for cards.  That worked *very* well
and even had a student picture.  The library was about the only place
they were used, so they were lost often.  At first we said student HAD to
have ID cards to check out a book.  That created a problem because either
students just quit coming to the library or they slipped the book out
without checking it out.  (Lost cards were $3.00 each for replacement.)

Now, we are doing that again; cards are furnished by the school picture
company that does our yearbook pictures.  This time students are
*required* to have their student cards to get into various functions at
student price.  If they don't have their ID card, they have to pay full
visitor fare.  Replacements are now $5.00.

Students don't lose their cards as often, but they don't bring them to
the library.  We have begun a "lottery" type of program that we tried for
one six weeks last year and it was very successful.  If students bring
their ID cards to check out a book, they get a ticket for a Sony Walkman
or similar player.  The more times they come to check out a book, the
more chances they have to get the Walkman. We draw at the end of six
weeks for the winner.

We will go ahead and check out books without the student card by going
through a set procedure:  Last name?  Student number? Confirm by saying
the full name aloud with acknoledgement from the student that that is
correct.  Those students *don't* get a chance on the walkman.

It's surprising how many students begin to remember to bring their cards
when they think they might win the walkman.  We may try gift certificates
for CDs or something different at times this year.

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home