Following are the ideas people sent in about things I should suggest to our
architect for the design of our new school library. (THANKS to all those
who replied!) You will see that some are realistic, some "fantasy," some in
between, but I will suggest them anyway:

CARPET
Loft with spiral staircase
Glassed in office
Glassed in "classroom" for watching videos, teaching technology & library
skills, having meetings, etc.
Built in kid-size shelves
Gas fireplace
Storage, storage, storage (some locked)
Curved steps or risers for story corner
Window seats
Wiring for lots of computers
Lots of windows
Separate computer lab
Tech classroom w/VCR, TV on wall, laser disc player, LDC panel, and
curtains so it can be darkened
Tall, thin windows to prevent heat/cold transfer & to provide storage along
walls
Adjustable shelving for magazines and videos
"Visual access" to the entire library - low shelving in middle of room
Bathroom, or at least sink
Place to hang coats, costumes

Needless to say, all of these were great suggestions. I also told our
architect that I wanted this library to have more of a "fantasy land" feel,
and for it not to be just a square room. It is really the one place in the
school where you want the kids to come when they want to, and not just when
they have to. And since we are a grade school (soon to add a middle
school), I thought the library should be fun. If anyone has anything to
add, please do. Thanks for all your help!

Monica C. McQueen, Librarian
monica@server.fas.pps.k12.or.us
French American International School
Portland, Oregon