>Could it be the poem that begins.."The gingham dog and the calico cat, Side
>by side by the chimney sat"? I think it is by Eugene Field but cannot find
>documentation anywhere.

Toni -

When in doubt, check out Barlett's Familiar Quotations -- I don't have
Granger available because I'm at home instead of at school every day, but
Barlett's comes in very handy in answering these poetry questions.

You're right about the author. Eugene Field (1850-1895); the poem is
called "The Duel"; only the second stanza is quoted in Bartlett's:

"The gingham dog went 'Bow-wow-wow!'
And the calico cat replied 'Mee-ow!'
The air was littered, and hour or so,
With bits of gingham and calico."

Joyce Conklin           jconkli@ed.co.sanmateo.ca.us
San Mateo Union High School Dist. (ret.)
San Mateo CA

LM_NET Archive Home