A teacher came in the LMC the other day with this poem, she got it
at church and she was putting it on place cards for her family's
Thanksgiving dinner.

I just thought I would share it with all of you...

The Legend of the Five Kernels

        The first winter the Pilgrims spent in their new homes were very
cold.  Food was in short supply.  Some days they only had enough food for
each person to have five kernels of corn for the day.  But Spring came.
They planted food.  It grew and all the Pilgrims did not die.
        From then on, when Thanksgiving came around, the Pilgrims put five
kernels of corn on each plate to remind themselves of their blessings.

Let us remember . . .
        The first kernel reminds us of the Autumn beauty around us.
        The second kernel reminds us of our love for one another.
        The third kernel reminds us of God's love and care for us.
        The fourth kernel reminds us of our friends especially our family.
        The fifth kernel reminds us we are a free people.

-- Donna Whiteside

Paula Zsiray                zsirayp@mcadm.mchs.cache.k12.ut.us
Mountain Crest High         Library Media Teacher
School 255 South 800 East   VOICE (801)245-6093
Hyrum, Utah   84319         FAX (801)245-3818

UtahLink - Library Media Mailing List Moderator

LM_NET Archive Home