    Week before last I posted a request for suggestions on titles of
    historical fiction for not-quite-up-to-5th-grade readers who had
    difficulty with Hatchet.  Thanks to the many of you who responded.
    What follows is a condensed list of suggestions.  If I missed yours
    it's because I'm at home and I may have printed some off and left them
    at school.  My apologies.  The most frequently suggested titles are
    listed first.
    Sign of the Beaver / Speare
    Weasel / DeFelice
    Save Queen of Sheba
    Fighting Ground / Avi (other books by same)
    Matchlock Gun
    Trouble River / Byars
    Haymeadow / Paulsen (other books by same, Ex. Tucket books)
    Jacob's Rescue / Drucker
    Mississippi Bridge / Taylor
    Journey to America / Levitin
    Across Five Aprils / Hunt
    Pedro's Journal / Conrad
    Sarah, Plain and Tall / MacLachlan
    Island of the Blue Dolphins / O'Dell
    By the Great Horn Spoon / Fleischman
    Orphan Train series / Nixon
    Whipping Boy / Fleischman
    Lostman's River / DeFelice
    Guests / Dorris
    Stone Fox / Gardiner
    Dear Levi / Woodruff
    Courage of Sarah Noble
    They Were Good and Strong
    Charley Skedaddle and Turn Homeward, Hannalee (other titles by same)
    Stepping on the Cracks / Hahn
    Number the Stars / Lowry
    Davy's Dog / Mathews
    Boy of Blossom Prairie / Liles
    My Brother Sam is Dead / Collier
    Red Dog / Wallace
    Call It Courage / Sperry
    Bull Run / Fleischman
    Under the Blood Red Sun / Salisbury

    Hope this proves helpful.  Many heads make quick thinking!
Kathy Born, Internet Coordinator/Librarian
Our Lady of Victory School
808 Neeb Road, Cincinnati, OH 45233
(513) 347-2072  FAX:  (513) 922-5476
Email:  Born_K@hcca.ohio.gov