I just finished reading PARROT IN THE OVEN: MI VIDA and it is excellent.
It just won the National Book Award so that may be why it's hard to
find.  It's published by HarperCollins so I'm sure it will come back into
stock (and maybe even into paperback).  It is definately for mature
readers; I'd say 15 years old at least.  There are several very tough
scenes dealing with teen pregnancy, gang initiations, spouse abuse, etc.
Nothing many kids won't be familiar with but still more harsh than GRAPES
OF WRATH if only because it is so immediate.  Martinez writes beautifully.

Jeanette Larson
Texas State Library

LM_NET Archive Home