Betty, I'm so glad you sent this message on. I think Susan's ideas are
marvelous. I, too, was surprised by some of the First Day communications,
even though I took part in them myself.

>1.  Other librarians, husbands, wives and mothers are absolutely the only
>people who listen to what you're saying when you whine about how much you
>have to do in your job.

I think misunderstanding is what caused the problem in the first place. We
expect other librarians to understand. The only times I get miffed in this
group are when sincere problems are presented and they receive replies of
"Why don't you just...." as if the petitioner had really made no effort to
resolve his or her own difficulty. I applaud anyone who can be ready for
patrons on the first day of school, and it's certainly a laudable goal to
work for. I just know that, for me, it was not a possibility this year and
I don't like the idea that I am somehow lacking in dedication or ability
because it wasn't, in other words that I have not been a GOOD librarian. I
believe that there are lots of ways of giving good library service, and I'm
sure that few of us do things in exactly the same way, just as parents
don't all parent in the same way. We had a successful year in our libraries
here last year, despite all circumstances, and I feel really good about
that. While "flaming" is not helpful or desirable, I do think we should
have the freedom to say "Hey, that really hurt my feelings!" How else can
we figure out what supporting each other really amounts to?

Gayle Hodur
ghodur@redshift.com

LM_NET Archive Home