This has not been posted before, but contains information you asked
for - what it means to be information literate.  This summer I had
the opportunity to chair a committee for our CTAP Region 7.  Our
task was to develop K-12 guidelines for information literacy.  We (a
group of 5 people which included library media teachers, classroom
teachers, and administrators) met for five days and the document we
concluded with is available on the web at the URL:

        http://ctap.fcoe.k12.ca.us/ctap/Info.Lit/infolit.html

During our project we also had the good fortune to spend two of our
five days working with Dr. David Loertscher.  He had just returned
from the ALA conference in New York and had met with a group there
who were doing the same thing we were doing, only they were looking
at developing guidelines on a national basis.  Interestingly, we
came to many of the same conclusions.

This document is a "working document" and any further input would be
greatly appreciated.  We'd like to hear what you think.  Please send
any comments or suggestions to me at the email address below.

Jane Caves
Library Media Teacher
Burton MIddle School
Porterville, CA