One of the things I stress in my media center is independence. I take
the approach that since all of us have very little time to waste,
teachers shouldn' t have to wait until I can free up time to do all
these thing FOR them when it will be faster if they can do it when THEY
need it done.  Since our library is automated, producing bibliographies
can be done with a few keystrokes. Laminating is not hard to do. In
selected cases teachers check out their own materals. When students are
familiar with the automated card catalog they can find the books they
want independently. This leaves me free do concentrate on the job I was
hired to do -plan with teachers to integrate research skills into grade
level curriculum.,teach research skills to students (and staff, in many
cases), and build and maintain a collection that supports the
curriculum.

LM_NET Archive Home