Ideas needed for alternatives to the traditional book report
for lower level secondary students (historical fiction). I will post a HIT!

Any good ideas for titles of historical fiction (American History) that
will appeal to reluctant readers (grade 11)?

I have the book America As Story which I am using to select titles, but I
would love suggestions for tried and true favorites.

I've come up with a few ideas so far:

1. Research the time period of your novel and then write a letter from one
book character to the other in the first person.  Outline events that
have taken place in the story along with other events that actually took
place during that historical period.

2. Research the time period of your novel and write a newspaper article
reporting the actual historical events that take place in your book.

3. Using a graphic organizer outline information from your story include
a time line based on that period of American History.

Gail M. Szeliga
Union Endicott High School                       Fax:      607.757.2839
Endicott, NY 13760                               Voice:    607.757.2813

"Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
                                                        Arthur C. Clarke

LM_NET Archive Home