Marjorie Pappas suggested that we share benchmarks (in the sense of a =
skill level that students of a given age & grade would be expected to =
reach), together with examples of a task or activity that would indicate =
the benchmark has been achieved.

I'd really like to see us share benchmarks.  To me, that would be more =
useful than just reading a book:  however well written, it couldn't =
equal the experience of 6,000 authors!

How about it?  Could we share benchmarks for grade 2, grade 5, grade 8, =
and grade 12?

So here's a proposal for grade 2. =20

The student distinguishes intuitively between fact and fiction.  With =
cognitive guidance, s/he can use the automated catalog to select a =
familiar title. =20

With cognitive guidance, s/he can locate the book in the school =
collection.

You would see this skill in use when students come to the library to =
locate books for pleasure reading or when students are working together =
to locate information for a classroom project.

Holly Wolf, Macedon Elementary, wolfh@vivanet.com

LM_NET Archive Home