I have been following the discussion about the names we use to designate
the area for the library, media center, instructional learning center,
instructional media center, instructional technology learning center,
resource center, etc. I think we should consider the origins of the library
and how these repositories of information came about.  The first libraries
were clay tablets. As paper was invented libraries were scrolls of paper.
Then the printing press was invented and bound books were gathered together
into collections and called libraries.  Then the camera was invented along
with the tape recorder and libraries began building collections of photos,
audio tapes, films, filmstrips and schools decided that because we had all
this media we should call ourselves media centers or something that
included the word media.  Now we have computers and the idea that the word
technology should be included in the title for these respositories of
knowledge.  The end result of all these names is a confused public.  My
question is this, why just because we are adding computers should we
include the word technology in the names of our centers?  Libraries have
embraced technology over the years and I don't think just because we add
computers that we have to change what we call our centers. The word library
itself refers to collections of various types of media and I feel that it
can and does include collections and resources of many types.  Computers
are just another wonderful addition to the many and varied souces of
information and services we provide.  Also, public libraries aren't
changing their names and they are adding additional services and
incorporating new technologies.

Kathy Geronzin
Northeast MS-HS Librarian
Goose Lake, IA 52060