        Jan, your innocent question about what we do the first weeks of
school obviously tapped a powerful vein in the body of school librarians:-)
And after reading Karen's post this morning, I'd like to add to the
discussion which I think has gone through the often necessary "venting"
stage to "how we can support each other."
        I am beginning a full year sabbatical so I have more time than
usual to read and think!  A book I've read this past year, Building
Community in Schools by Thomas J. Sergiovanni (Jossey-Bass, 1993), has been
influential in my sabbatical planning.  Because of our "across the
curriculum" outlook, I believe we are in a unique position to help build
community.  While this may seem to be an additional "task" on our already
too-long lists, more of a sense of community in our schools will ease our
stresses in the long run. (The person who asked recently for ideas for
monthly socials seemed to realize this.)  I will be visiting schools and
attending meetings across the mainland this school year looking especially
at how we adults support each other in our schools.  If you are interested
in discussing this in more detail, please e-mail me directly.
        One more book I'd like to recommend was given to me by a friend to
read during my travels. Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn
(Hyperion, 1994), has chapters (short ones:-) on Patience, Letting Go (if
any of you have tips for letting go of "our" libraries when we go on
sabbatical, let me know!), and Non-Judging.  Just this morning I read the
one on Generosity. Here is a short sample:  "Initiate giving....You may
find that, rather than exhausting yourself or your resources, you will
replenish them." (p.64)  But what too many of us forget is the admonition
(p.61) that a good place to start in practicing generosity is with
YOURSELF.

Roseyn Devlin, Librarian
1402 Punahou St.
Maryknoll High School