Bailey White has a wonderful chapter in her book _Mama makes Up Her Mind and
Other Distasters_ titled "Maritime Disasters"  I quote:

I've been teaching children to read for 15 years now.  I've seen the teaching
methods come and go...  ...Then a few years ago I found it:  maritime
disasters.  Give me a man overboard or a good sinking ship, and I can teach
a half-witted gorilla to read.  I start with old sea chanties.  The children
rub their fingers under the written words on their song sheets as the
singers on the tape recorder yowl out the tales at a dirgelike pace--exactly
the speed beginning first-graders read.
        When the children get the idea that written words can tell them
something absolutely horrible, half the battle of teaching reading is won.
        And that's when I turn to the Titanic.  The children sit on the rug
at my feet, and I tell them the story.  It's almost scary to have the
absolute, complete attention of that many young minds.  .....

--
Johanna Halbeisen
Woodland Elementary School(K-4)

LM_NET Archive Home