First of all, you need to sit down and talk to the k-2 teachers and ask
them what they are studying and how you can tie into what they are doing.

You could also suggest some author/title studies for you to do with the
students.  For example, you may want to take one author--for example, Ezra
Jack Keats, and go into his work in some depth.  For a week you might work
with a k-2 class and just read a keats book per day.  There is a wonderful
video about him and his work.  Show it and review it with the children,
and ask the children what they remember from his other books that tie into
this information.  You might ask the classroom teacher to read some of his
books.  What have they learned about Peter?  You could then work with the
 art teacher or classroom teacher.  Have them draw their own Willie, like
they do in the video and as a culmination have them do a mural or their
own pictures using Keat's techniques.  I also know that they have "reading
Pictures" of Keats work.  This is a kit with 6 posters of his work plus a
booklet with different ideas on presenting the art and how students can
learn to "see".  There are "reading pictures on 6 prominent illustrators
of children's books.

Dr. Seuss is another one.  End with a breakfast of green eggs and ham.  (
I even dressed up as the cat in the hat.

Talk about ethnic groups from patricia Polacco's books.  Just try to make
it meaningful.

You can also pick books from a subject they are learning.  For example,
what if they a looking at ducks.  You could read "make way for ducklings".
Pull all other books that have illustrated pictures of ducks.  How do they
differ?  These can be  fiction or non-fiction.

What you are trying to get across is that you are not the babysitter for
1/2 hour a week.  When you are working with them is not the time for them
to get books.  Unless it it part of unit you are presenting and working
with the teacher on how to choose books.  You could have one week a month
when you present new books and read one of those--but that could be done
in the classroom.

If you need some more ideas, let me know.  I am filled with them.
Check Booklinks, Mailbox, etc. for ideas.

Michele

Michele Missner
Appleton High School West
610 N. Badger