Hi Gayle - We do something similar to this here at Woodriver.  I do it in
conjunction with book fair (Scholastic) and also our local news agency
which supplies a variety of books to local retailers.  Scholastic sends a
fair number of hard cover books with their book fairs.  I choose the ones
that I would like purchased for the library & put them on a separate
table each with a bow on them & have a display complete with book plates
for parents to purchase a book for the library.  As far as the news
agency I visit their warehouse & select the books that I would like for
the library & add those to the display table.  It was a tremendous
success last spring during book fair & I will attempt it again during
this year's fall book fair in November.  Right before Christmas when
hopefully people are in the "giving" spirit.  Not only did parents
purchase books for the library, but staff memebers did as well.  It was
definitely worth the time.  Hope this is helpful -

Maryellen Paull
Gayle, we have a similar program that is held every year; last year we
increased our budget by over $4000!  Our program is entitled the Gift Book
Program.  We
 (a single library) order our books from our regular vendor in July and October
.  When they come in we place them in the back room.  At Christmas the Parents
Committee handles all the publicity and the actual wrapping of the books.  Pare
nts come into the library and select books to be "donated" for a specific teach
er.  The books are delivered to that teacher and then they are returned to the
library to become part of the collection.  We type and place the bookplates
designating who the book was donated to and from.  In this way, we have the
books we want and need and in many cases they are library bound as well as
barcoded and in the system.  It's a great way to increase the budget.

Lynda Short
A few years ago I used the phrase adopt-a-book for an activity where they
children would make covers for books that looked worn.  One of the
teachers, the mother of an adopted child, was very offended by the notion
of adopting a book.  She was of the opinion that one adopts children, not
things.

Just thought I'd tell you, as you might find yourself running up against
the same problem.

Good luck with your project.

Susan Aroldi

Gayle Hodur