I used to do the following when I was at the elementary level:  With my
annual book budget, I would go through my regular acquisition process very
early in the year. Before letting the new books be used, I would send info
to parents regarding the Adopt-a-Book program, including a list of titles
and prices (ranging from $5 to $50, with most being between $10- $20), and a
form to fill out if they wished to participate. Then I would display the
books in the library and introduce classes to the adoption procedure. This
generated LOTS of excitement. I would show and/or read a few age level
appropriate books to each class and they would eye the rest. The very next
day I would get kids running in first thing in the morning with checks and
forms. As books got adopted I would remove them from the display and affix
one of two beautifully designed (by a parent) bookplates (large stickers
made for us at a print shop). One plate said, "This book was adopted by so
and so for the such and such library on this date." The other version
included, "adopted by so and so in honor of so and so." (Lots of teachers
were honored this way.) The names and dates were filled in by a volunteer
who did lovely calligraphy. Once this was done, the child whose parents or
grandparents adopted the book would get to be the very first one to check
out "their" book. I would always remind the students to show the bookplates
to their parents. The last step would be to send thank you notes to the
donors and include their names in the school newsletter.

I would try to kick off the Adopt-a-Book program the same week as Back to
School night in the fall, so I could display and "sell" the new books there.
This would generate a lot of interest in the library and its collection, and
gave me a wonderful opportunity to speak with parents about the library and
all our programs. (The display, by the way, would be on long tables outside
the library so it would be very visible and inviting. I have found in many
schools that it's not easy to get lots of parents in the library at Open
House, etc.).

The kids, parents, teachers and principal loved this program, and I did too.
The snowball effect was amazing. Many kids adopted books each year, and some
adopted several per year. Each book adoption was essentially a full
reimbursement for the book with which I turned around and bought another
book (one selected by ME, not a donation chosen by someone else). With all
the funds raised (usually close to the same amount I spent in the first
place), I would purchase another set of books which, in turn, would also be
put up for adoption (usually around Winter concert time, and yet another
batch again at Open House in the spring). These batches would often include
a few second copies of popular titles that kids were desperate to adopt but
missed out on the first time.

It seemed I always had new books and lots of excitement over them. Students
loved to open a book and see who had adopted it, and show off ones they or
their siblings had adopted. Adopted books were popular, too, because the
kids figured that if someone wanted to adopt it, it must be pretty good. In
short, the collection became more interesting to the students and it grew
faster because I had about 2-3 times more money than I would have otherwise.
One other nice thing, too, was that since this money was put into a PTA
account instead of a district account, I had much more control over it and
could pretty much buy want I wanted when I wanted instead of jumping through
all the district hoops.

I ended up being able to purchase about twice as many (or more) books as
other librarians in the district. This caused some resentment. Our book
budgets were pitifully small and some felt that if we knocked ourselves out
on fundraisers, we'd never get the increases we ought to be getting from the
district. My fellow librarians didn't want to plead for more funding only to
be told they should be doing what I was doing. (That never happened as far
as I know.) This was a good point, but the kids, parents, and I loved all
the new books so much, I kept the program going anyway. I wonder if it's
still in effect now. It took lots of time, energy, and enthusiasm, but it
was fun, and very rewarding.

This makes me long to be back at the elementary level! I know such a program
would not work well at the junior high I'm at now.

Vickie Rabourn
When a new school opened up in our area a few years ago the PTA did
something similar.  They had a Bound to Stay Bound catalog there with
prices and parents selected from there.  I'd be interested in getting a
hit from your replies.
Thanks,
Debbie
        I have two Adopt-a-Book events in our library, both during Fall
and Spring Open Houses when many parents come to the school.  I purchase
the books I would like for the library before the events through a
discount warehouse (about half the list price).  I display them in the
library with a sign indicating that our library would like to have these
books for our students. The parents choose whatever book they want to
donate.  I charge the price on the cover of the book, which is full-price.
A donation plate is filled out by the person donating the book, and I
immediately glue it into the front of the book.  I usually have about half
the books purchased and this pays for my entire selection.  I have been
doing this for four years. I send home a flyer with the students
announcing that this event will take place about 3 days before the event.
If I don't let parents know ahead of time, they often won't bring money or
checkbooks to a school event. If it is not tied to a school event, only
the most dedicated parents will make the effort to come.

Diane Galiardi
---------------------------------------------------------------Our local
BIG Bookstore (Barnes & Noble) will bring books to the school
and man the book fair for you.....

Gumdrop books have been mentioned lately - maybe they would bring out a
selection for purchase.

I've started a STARS Collection (our theme being the STARS). The parent
sends in $20.00 with the child's name to be honored. I buy books four
times a year with the STARS money. When the books arrive, the child
comes to the Media Center to select the book they want their name in! I
choose the books, they get to pick which one has the bookplate. I put a
STAR at the top of the spine to make the STARS Collection books stand
out on the shelves!

Good luck!

-Kate Stirk

Gayle Hodur