-- [ From: Cheryl Sturgeon * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Date: Monday, 09-Sep-96 05:04 PM

From: Fmwill@AOL.COM           \ America On-Line: (Fmwill)
To:   Multiple recipients of LM-NET \ Internet:    (lm_net@listserv.syr.edu)

Subject: GEN:  birthday book program

We would like to set up a birthday book program at our school in which
parents can donate books in honor of their children.  Everyone liked the
idea of this program, but as we start thinking about the actual mechanics,
difficulties appear.  The business office and the development office would
like as little paperwork as possible;  I would like to be able to order
books as the occasion occurs, from Baker and Taylor, all ready for our about
-to-be-automated system..

How have others worked this out?

TIA

Faith Williams, librarian at St. Anselm's Abbey School, 4501 S. Dakota Ave.,
NW, Wash. DC 20017-2795  Tel 202-269-2362   Faithw@cais.com or fmwill@aol.
com

A birthday book program was already in place in the 2 schools I work in when
I got the job.  We have a separate account that the money is channeled
through and all monies go in and out of that account and it can be carried
over unlike our board funds which must be spent by July 1.  I keep a supply
of books on hand in a special display (esp. at Open House) from which to
choose.  We of course have a lower price than the bookstores due to
discounts.  Parent & child are encouraged to choose from these titles.  They
may bring a book in (but I insist it be new - we are not going to use this
program to fill up our shelves with books the child has outgrown.)  This has
worked very well and a lot of our teachers give books in this way.
We place a plaque in the book with name and date and announce it on PA on
birthday.  Child gets to be first to take out.
I order through our regular jobbers, but also occasionally shop Borders so I
can see them.  Eye appeal seems to be very important

--
Cheryl A. Sturgeon
Highland Local Schools

LM_NET Archive Home