I've received some great ideas on this topic, and have had many requests
for a hit. I will be dividing it into 2 parts.

Make your own ice cream sundae day.  Everybody brings their favorite
topping to share and the Hospitality committee provides vanilla ice cream.

A paper back book exchange.  Everyone brings in a paper back book they've
read and don't want anymore to trade for a new one.

I'm new to the library / media biz, but some things that I've done that were
very successful:

1.  when the majority of my book order arrives, I select the best items and
sort by curriculum/subject area and display on different tables in the media
center and have a "Book Breakfast".  Teachers have goodies, see new materials
and I have a chance to throw ideas at them as they check out books.  My
teacher circulation is never higher than at a book breakfast.

2.  sponsor a pot luck breakfast (or lunch, whatever) and Book Swap.  I did
my first in June and sent out invitations asking for summer reading.
 Everyone who attended (most of the faculty and staff) loved the idea of
trading books instead of buying more books for the beach, and had a chance to
socialize.
 At our school, breakfast is the best time for these activities because
everyone has a different lunch schedule (unless it's a staff-only day) and
most have to play chauffer for kids, spouses & pets after school.

3.  I display student and faculty birthdays in my front window (when I know
about them).  This gives both faculty and students a lift when different
people wish them a happy birthday.

I'd appreciate finding out what other schools do to build morale - please
post a hit or send me a summary of results. Thanks in advance!

At our school (middle, 6,7,8), we have a monthly coffee and conversation,
which at one time was paid for by our principal, I think.  At least, the
cafeteria ladies brought in the treats.  Now, we alternate among the 6th,
7th, 8th, and special teachers and people (translation=women) try to tie in
with a holiday or happening with some cute results.  Last Christmas we did
cookies and made a little recipe book.  We just sit and talk and eat and it
is very nice.  We sometimes organize evenings out or after-school outings but
they are raggedly attended since we had a huge philosophical split in our
faculty a few years ago, a long story.  But we do all mostly go to C&C, very
simple and we bring the eats.

Fidelis,
        We have a tail gate party for the Michigan/Ohio State
football game.
        Secret Santa - one week before school lets out for
the winter break.       Day one - something food
                        Day two - something green
                        Day three - something red
                        Day four - something wood
                        Day five - $5.00 gift
People do not have to participate - but those of us that do
really look forward to this activity.  I make out a form
that people fill in with their name, if they are allergic
to any food (we have several diabetics in the building),
some of their interest.  Also lists each day (decide what
each day will be, the list above is just a suggestion,
could be paper, glass, plastic, white, etc.) List the
people participating, put the slips in a basket and have
people draw. We try to limit each day to $1.00.  Odd Lots
is a wonderful store to find neat gifts.
        We always have a Christmas party. Because we to
have people coming in from different areas we alternate
between Franklin and Delaware counties.  Though last year
we found a restaurant in Delaware county but it is close
to Columubs and I think the Social Committee is going to
plan our party there for this year.
        We are having a golf outing -- one of our teachers
lives next to a golf course.
        Cookie exchange.
        Year end party at the home of one of the teachers that
has a swimming pool in her back yard.

Thank you for posing this interesting question!  I have worked at the
elementary and high school level and have seen a number of ideas that
worked well:

1. A breakfast once a month on Fridays to celebrate birthdays (even half
birthdays for summer birthday people) and to announce any other special
awards or events (or leavetakings).

2. Principal and other administrative staff made breakfast (pancakes) for
the staff as an annual thank you.

3.  Staff made school sweatshirts with school mascot (ironed on?) and
decorated with fabric paints.  They were worn on Fridays as a dress
down/school spirit event that was fun and cheap.  At this school (elem.)
they also invited everyone to go out to lunch on Fridays, seeking out new
and reluctant people to join them.

4. On half day inservices, develop a special theme for lunch, such as an
indoor picnic, zoo, musical, etc.  This can be done as pot luck or carry
out with minimal effort if the duties are rotated between "groups".

These are all relatively easy to do and have been met with smiles.  I
always feel positive when I'm "forced" to mingle with others and find out
they are fun people, too.

Fidelis, One of my favorite activities was a Christmas exchange. Each
person brought a wrapped gift suitable for either man or woman. It could
be "nice" or a "gag" gift. Each participant took a number from a hat when
the gift was brought to the party. When all arrived, the host called
numbers either randomly or in whatever order s/he chose. The first person
chooses a gift from the pile and opens it. The second person can either
choose an unwrapped gift from the pile *OR* an opened gift. This
progresses until all gifts are opened. If an opened gift is chosen, then
the person who "lost" their gift chooses from the unopened pile. Some
gifts make the rounds - one year someone brought a set of wine glasses
from the previous year's prom and it went through several choosers! Gifts
can be funny (Pope John Paul II paperdolls), nice (tickets to college
basketball game), homemade (a tin of Christmas cookies was very popular
one year). A price limit can be set, but is not necessary. It's a fun and
creative way of doing a gift exchange and you don't have to bring a gift
to enjoy the fun.

Many schools have adult book discussion sessions.  I have only gone as
far as to distribute to interested teachers the suggestions from LM_NET.
Your activities sound like fun.

We played games one night in the LRC to "dedicate" the new furniture and
celebrate Christmas/winter break.  We all brought snacks and a gag gift to
give for the winners.  We played Bunko--it;s a dice game, but we have also
done card games and pictionary with other groups.  The point is to keep
rearranging teams so everyone visits.  Spouses or dates were invited,
children were not.  I think I'll borrow your golf idea.  Sounds like a lot
of fun!

What great ideas?  Please forward any that you might receive. At my old
high school with a staff of nearly 300 the planned activities included a
cookout preceding the first football game.  Administrators tended the hot
dogs and hamburgers and other picnic fare was purchased and set on
tables.  Staff had to RSVP as to numbers since families were included.
This was nice especially because the administrators manned the grills
and had the opportunity to speak to all of us.
The day preceding Winter break is "grazing day."The library hosts an all
day feast where staff either brings a dish or contributes $5.00.  This
tradition was established by the former librarian who is now the
Assistant Principal. She still organizes the whole thing. This is a definite
favorite activity in the building.  The student choral group roams the
school entertaining and staff members contribute their musical talents as
well. A piano is moved into the library for the day.

How about a white elephant gift exchange?  Let people draw numbers, choose
a wrapped gift from a table.  Be creative in the wrapping.  People can
steal from one another based on the looks of the wrapped gift only.  Once
everyone is done then the gifts are opened.
Other ideas:  cookie exchange; small crafts like ornaments for Christmas;
bring toiletries, paper goods, personal care items, to give to a shelter or
community service organization; secret santa.
We had one week that we designated a different color or design for teachers
to wear each day.  Then we tried to figure out if the students noticed
(especially on clash day) That was kind of a secret, inside joke fun day
for the staff.

Sometimes we all bring a specified item for lunch and share like a potato
bar, dip day, taco salad day, soup and bread day, dessert day.

I think you are on the right track with a hospitality committee.
Our committee sends flowers for illness or surgery or death, sponsors
wedding and baby showers and purchases building gift for admnistrators,
secretaries, clerks, custodians, cafeteria workers at Christmas time.  We
also try to do something for secretary's day, nurses day, and principal's
day.

Hope you can use some of these ideas.

Stay tuned for Part II, coming soon.

*  Fidelis Poncher, LMS      *                                            *
*  ponchef@mail.firn.edu     *                                            *
*  Interlachen High School   *  "It is only with the heart that man can   *
*  Rt. 1, Box 10             *     see rightly. What is essential is      *
*  Interlachen, FL 32148     *          invisible to the eye."            *
*  VOICE: 904-684-2116       *                                            *
*  FAX: 904-684-3915         *                                            *