I have been thinking about the discussion on giving Library Grades for several
days and read the last postings concerning why people agreed with giving
grades.

I would like to express my opinion.  I feel that giving "Library Grades" is a
step backwards.  It implies that "Library" is a subject.  If it is a subject
then why can't the Librarian see the kids on a regular schedule of at least
once a week?  If it is a subject then it is the Librarian's responsibility to
teach it, rather than a collaboration between classroom teacher and "library
teacher".

I have no objection to working with the teacher to "grade the papers".  In
fact I feel that the librarian should be in on the evaluation of projects as
well as the research phase.  If students know that both parties are working
together and that they will be held accountable for all parts of the project
then they will take it seriously.

Anyway, that is my humble opinion.  Thanks for letting me express it.

Deborah Stafford
Gen H.H. Arnold HS
Department of Defense Dependents Schools
Wiesbaden Germany
stafford@email.wiesbaden.army.mil
or  deborah_stafford@ccmail.odedodea.edu

LM_NET Archive Home