On Mon, 23 Sep 1996, TERRY YOUNG wrote:
(snip)
> Tessa,
> The words are from the new fall release "Dem Bones" by Bob Barner,
> c1996.  Chronicle Books,
> Toe bone connected to da foot bone
> foot bone connected to da ankle bone
> ankle bone connected to da leg bone
> leg bone connected to da knee bone
> knee bone connected to da thigh bone
> dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones
> dem bones, ben bones, dem dry bones
> hear the word of the lord.
>
> Along with great illustrations, each page gives scientific
> information about each of the bones in the song.  If you want to add
>
> Terry Young, M.Ed., M.L.S.
> Natl Ctr for Science & the Family
> West Jeff High School
> New Orleans, LA
> tey@communique.net

I am sorry that they decided to print this book in dialect.  I have not
lived in the U.S. for 25 years, but I don't remember hearing even then
people of any colour or ethnic group using "dem" for "them" and "da" for
the.  It makes it less appealling for teachers who like to present good
models of speech and might be seen by some as belittling some group or other.

Otherwise, the book could be a wonderful resource at Halloween or as an
introduction to the skeleton.  I have used that very song myself, but I
did rewrite it to "those bones"  "the neck bone", "now hear the words
right now".  But maybe I am violating someone's intellectual property by
adapting it.  Or have I committed the error of not respecting another
authentic cultural voice by rewriting the words into standard Canadian?

What do yo'all think, aye?

Lynne Phillips, Teacher-Librarian, Cook Ave Elementary
School Rossland, British Columbia, Canada    lphillip@ciao.trail.bc.ca

LM_NET Archive Home