Sorry to take so long, but here it is.  I think I accidentally deleted
one entry about a program named 'Choices", but I did respond to that
wonderful person and I'm sure I'll hear back from her.

We use Gale Research's Discovering Careers CD.  The 97 one is due out
in  Oct 96 and will be the "deluxe" version $1500 for networks.  We
like it.
Betty

As the LRC Coordinator at a vocational school, I have been on the
lookout  for career guidance software and have purchased two.
ACT Discover (DOS version) is relatively easy to use and has on
screen  helps as well as a function key card for the key board.
Sometimes I have  found people getting "lost" because there is such a
broad scope and  almost too many options, but it is easy to get back
to the main menu.   The students have been happy learning this and
are anxious to try it  again after I have had them for an
instructional class.  I will not be  renewing it because it is $3000
for only 3 licenses and I got it on a one  time grant.
In the state of Illinois we also have Horizon's.  The Windows version
is  pretty slick but I have the DOS version which requires using a
manual for  code numbers of occupations, programs, and schools.  It
appears to be  easier to understand and use but that might be because
I have used it  longer.  The real kicker comes with the price:  it is
only $350 for  unlimited licenses.  I have it renewed every year with
the updated  version and have really enjoyed using it.  The low cost
is due to the  funding by the state and it is geared to Illinois,
although the  information is from all over the country.
Hope this helps!  Others I have seen are so similar that I could not
justify buying more than two.
Karen

We have had Eureka for four years as part of the restructuring
program.  We like it very much but will most probably drop it next
year.  It is very expensive and we will not have the money for it.
We are also trying Discovery.  The district purchased it.  We have
not had it long enough to make any comments on it.
Bob

We currently have Eureka, but last year after evaluating it and the
program
"Choices", our district decided to go with Choices.  To use Eureka
appropriately, the students needed to refer to booklets to get
numbers to access information on particular jobs, schools, etc.  With
Choices, everything is on screen and easier to access.  Choices also
listed info on more "low end" jobs that didn't call for advanced
schooling.  You should take a look at it.
Margaret
Not exactly what you asked for but you might want to know the
Occupational Outlook Handbook is available on the web
at:??http://www.claitors.com/ooh/ooh2.htm
Emory

Thanks so much!  And keep those valued opinions and experiences
coming!

LM_NET Archive Home