>To: DENWALL@AOL.COM
>From: "Eva C. XXXXXXX" <roneva1@scsn.net>
>Subject: Re: At least they are reading something!
>
>At 12:38 AM 9/21/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>Dear netters:  I am in the process of catching up on about a
>>million LM posts I haven't had time for recently, so you may
>>hear a mixed-bag of queries or contributions from me.
>>There has been alot of talk about Goosebumps. On 9/17  Brian
>>Rountree says:
>>> At least they are reading somthing they are
>>interested in, and it can lead to other reading, as Joan Kimball listed in
>>her message of 09/14/96.
>>Then it's on to the classics, because you've got them hooked.<
>>
>>Back in ancient days, when my kids were yunguns Scholastic,
>>which had hitherto reissued "Classic" good children's lit at
>>affordable prices, started to hire writers to crank out teen
>>versions of adult "women's romances" and of course wanted
>>classroom teachers to help sell them via their bookclub.  I was
>>furious.  My viewpoint was and still is "Garbage in, garbage out,  or, you
>>can't turn a pig's ear into a silk purse or whatever.
>>However, I am always willing to be convinced.  Soooo...does
>>anyone know if there is actually research which suggests that
>>reading bad literature leads to avid consumption of good
>>literature, or to better reading skills, or to critical thinking
>>skills.   If so, cite, and I'll look it up.   Thanks.

Dear LM-NETTERS,
    No, there is no research that I know of suggesting that reading bad
literature leads to avid consumption of good literature, or to better
reading skills, or to critical thinking skills; however, there is some
research documenting that the more one reads, the better one reads.  The old
saying, "practice makes perfect", is somewhat true.
   Let us remember too, that literature considered by some as good, may be
considered bad by others.  Children also need to be able to read what
motivates/interests them.  There should surely be adult guidance in what
they read, but never take away their freedom to choose what they want to read.

Eva (roneva1@scsn.net)  Robert E. Howard Middle School, Orangeburg, SC

LM_NET Archive Home