In case anyone else was inspired and would like to borrow my Noses
theme (reading celebration based on the theme: "The BEST place for
your nose is in a book, here are some responses to get you started.
My sincere thanks to all who replied.

Andrea Hynes
Graham Elementary School
10024 206th St. East
Graham, WA 98338
e-mail: hynes@seanet.com

The responses:

Are you familiar with the "Kidstuff" magazine?  It contains
storytime programs for Preschool to elementary age kids.  They have a
whole issue on "Noses".  I have it at work.  Let me know if you want
more information on this
 >Sandy Earnest Spokane, Washington
<sle@on-ramp.ior.com> (Sandy Earnest)
 -----
See if you can get your teachers to pose with a book in hand and
rubber nose on and take their picture for a bulletin board-- I would include PTA
board members and
any other prominent local citizen you could con into posing --

Sherry Girard
Fire Lake Elementary
Eagle River Alaska 99577
<girard_sherry@msmail.asd.k12.ak.us>

-----
I have used Arthur's Nose by MArc Brown with my primary students.
Sometimes I have them draw Arthur with the nose they think he with
pick. I got this idea from another Librarian so you know that the idea
is not mine.
 "Zellman - Karen F."
 <kzellman@umd5.umd.edu>
-----
 I love your idea!  One activity I did was put up clues about a book for
students to guess the book.  You could adapt it by displaying a
copy/drawing of the main character's nose for students to guess.  That
would work with picture books and their animal characters.

For older students you may want to put up some trivia questions about
the nose...or facts about animals and their noses...like which animal
has the keenest sense of smell?  Students may have to use library
resources to answer them.

You could also "nose around" and tie in some mysteries or book
detectives.

I hope you get lots of ideas because I'm interested in adapting this
for my media center also.

Peggy Grobmyer
<grobmyp@conway.afsc.k12.ar.us>
Julia Lee Moore Elementary School
1301 Country Club Rd.
Conway, AR  72032
501-450-4830
-----
Please do share your results, this sounds like a great theme.  I
love the noses.  Perhaps you could have the children match the noses
with a book. For example, a toucan beak with Hey Al, an elephant trunk
with Horton hears a who, etc.  Pig snouts should offer tons of
selections.  Maybe a prize for the student who can think of the most
titles to match up with a nose.  A mouse nose would have tons of
possibilities too.

You could have a contest for staff too... identifying famous
"noses" with photos of just noses for Barbra Streisand, Bob Hope,
Jimmy Durante and others.  This is such fun!  Post that hit, please, I
want to do this during those cold, awful, short winter days.

Marsha Sullivan
<mrsulliv@seacoast.com>
G. W. Brown Elementary (K-4)
Newburyport, MA
-----
Maybe you can photograph different dignitaries (school or otherwise)
wearing the noses while reading...make those big posters from the
photos. It is a cute theme.  I also envision a board with nose holes
instead of knot holes.  Funny faces could be painted on the board and
kids could be photographed reading with the nose holes.  Ah well, it
is late. Adieu.

Lynn McCree, Librarian
Martin Junior High
Austin, Texas