Thanks so much for the following great suggestions on the above.

Nina Chambers           Madison Middle School Library      206.281-6140 x204
FAX: 206.281-6302                          email: nchamber@cks.ssd.k12.wa.us

IN the Lerner catalog
Einstein        Ordinary Genius -by Stephanie McPherson Carolrhoda
Trailblazers series (Lerner catalog) c 1995 lists for $19.00 lerner
discount $14.00 788-0

Goddard         Rocket Man by Tom Streissguth, Carolrhoda 863-1 same prices

from Rourke catalog
Beethoven  by N. Ooewen, $16.95  p 117 in catalog (Profiles in music series--
others are The Beatles, James Brown JOhnny Cash, Mozart -there's a grouping
for you!)

Famous Achievers series from Chelsea House  ind, volume $18.95
20800- Ray Charles
21564-Miles Davis
23354-Bob Dylan
12441-Gloria Estefan
20789-Stephen Hawking
23303-Madonna
-I'm trying to be non-judgmental here!-but I left out Michael Jackson awk!
censorship!!
2329X-Elvis (guaranteed to be stolen within 2 weeks-as with everything Elvis)
18822-Diana Ross
23273-Bruce Springsteen

clearly not much in classical music there
I know that I have seen a series on architects because I know that I M Pei
has a book but can't find it in any of the cats I have at home, as we are
being un-asbestocized this summerj I can't get in to school.  maybe this
helps, regards, trish

                                *****
Hi.  I had great luck with math bios this spring on the web.  Agnes Scott
College in Atlanta, GA has a great project on women mathematicians with
lots
of leads to other sites.  It was very helpful.  (Sorry I don't have the
URL
with me.)
                                *****

I'd recommend Yona McDonough's Frank Lloyd Wright, published in 1992 by
Chelsea House. It is part of their "Chelsea House Library of Biography"
series - not working as a middle school librarian I don't know how the
reading level may match your students' abilities, but my general
recollection is that it is appropriate for the 5th-6th grades. Just my
guess, though.

Appropriate for a younger age group is Kathleen Thorne-Thomsen's Frank
Lloyd Wright for Kids, published in 1994 by Chicago Review Press.

I maintain a Frank Lloyd Wright bibliography online at URL:

http://snoopy.tblc.lib.fl.us/fsc/FLLW.html

The bibliography includes many out-of-print items, but most of the
recently-published works are still available and may be worth looking for.
                                *****
 I don't know if you can add this to your list, but Chelsea
House has a very nice biography on the California architect Julia Morgan
written by James Cary.  This one is perfect middle school level and has
good photographs.
                                *****
Check the H.W. Wilson catalog for books on composers.  They publish
several titles.  Also, I have a set of books called Great Scientists (12
vols.) which includes mathematicians.  Salem Press publishes it.   I
don't have a publisher for this one:  Men of Mathematics.
                                *****
I think Grolier or one of the big encyclopedia companies has a science
biography encyclopedia with about 15 volumes arranged by last name of the
scientist.  I had used it when I was in middle school.  It was a small
(physically) set of dark green.  We had a unit on famous scientists-black
and white in sixth grade and these were absolutely necessary.
                                *****

LM_NET Archive Home