I am hoping there is an expert out there re the Middle Ages. We do a major
Medieval project whose library research involves researching a particular
occupation. It is always difficult because the teachers have divided the
occupations into 3 sections, peasant, nobility, church which is correct, I
understand. The problem comes in when the kids are looking for information
on people like the reeve, gamekeeper, silk merchant, lawyer, doctor,
banker, judge, steward, gamekeeper, etc. These people don't seem to fit the
three categories. Were there several levels of peasant and maybe lower
levels of nobility? We are always faced with figuring out which category
these people fit in so that I can say "Find out everything you can about
the peasants because that is really what you are." with a little more
conviction than I have had! There is always the problem of the crafts or
products people, also, like the miller. He could live in the manor village
and work for the lord and himself or he could be free and live in the town.
I would like to be able to prepare the teachers to prepare the kids a
little better this year so it is not so frustrating for all of us. I should
mention that I do have loads of wonderful resources, but haven't been able
to get myself totally comfortable with all these roles even so. Thanks for
any input you LM_NET experts might have!
Jeanne Scally
Cerro Villa MIddle School
Villa Park, CA

LM_NET Archive Home