per the request, here is the hit.  much gratitude is extended for the 2
prompt responses.

From: Andy Carvin <acarvin@kudzu.cnidr.org>
To: saunders@NORTHNET.ORG
Subject: Re: Ref: Arab Headgear Meaning

I'm pretty sure it was originally tribal, but now you can buy any pattern
you want. I remember wandering the souks of Amman and Cairo, and there
were dozens of patterns available. The red pattern King Hussein wears, I
suspect, is for the Hashemite clan, but I noticed that everyone else in
Amman, including Palestinians, wore it too, perhaps out of loyalty to
Hussein..