Several years ago when I was doing school visits as a public library
children's librarian, I saw a great poster from D.C. Heath Company.  I
copied it down on a scrap of paper.  It went like this:

10 Ways to get your students to read and read and read

1.  Let your students see you read and read and read.

2.  Read to your students every day.

3.  Make reading for pleasure a part of the daily routine.

4.  Read to your students every day.

5.  Rotate the books in your room.

6.  Read to your students every day.

7.  Keep book reports to a minimum.

8.  Read to your students every day.

9.  Advertise books throughout your school.

10.  Read to your students every day.

READING:  ONCE YOU START, YOU'LL NEVER STOP.

It had a great picture of a kid reading under the covers with a flashlight.
I called them and ordered one for my library.  A few years ago, I called
them again to order another one, and they said they don't make it any more.

Back when I was working at the public library, I wrote a paraphrase of the
above and made a bookmark to put at the circulation desk.

10 WAYS TO GET YOUR CHILD TO READ AND READ AND READ

1.  Let your children see you read and read and read.

2.  Read to your children every day.

3.  Make reading for pleasure a part of your daily routine.

4.  Read to your children every day.

5.  Take your children to the public library regularly and frequently.

6.  Read to your children every day.

7.  Buy your child a reading lamp for his/her bed.

8.  Read to your children every day.

9.  Have books and other reading materials in every room of your house.

10.  Read to your children every day.

READING:  ONCE YOU START, YOU'LL NEVER STOP!

Now, I guess since they are no longer making the poster, it wouldn't hurt
for me to spread this around.  This is just a "for your general information
and use."  I thought it was so clever.  And true!!

Every once in a while, I run off copies of the "your child" bookmark, and
give it to teachers to put with report cards at conference time.

It came to mind when someone recently published a request for "top ten
reasons to read to your child".  I just now have gotten around to sitting
down and typing all this out!  Hope it helps somebody.

Suby Wallace         swallace@nic.crsc.k12.ar.us
Nettleton Intermediate Center  fax: 501-930-3930
   (5-6 grades)               phone: 501-932-5650
3801 Vera                (area code changing to 870 in
Jonesboro, AR 72401                     April)

LM_NET Archive Home