It is from the 1830 novel _Paul Clifford_ by Edward George Bulwer-Lytton.

Ruth Dahlstrom, Coordinator, Library/Media Svcs.     Ph.:  512-645-3257
Goliad ISD                                           FAX:  512-645-2948
P. O. Box 830                                     e-mail:  rdahl@tenet.edu
Goliad, TX   77963

On 15 Apr 1997, Mary Ann Kull wrote:

>      A friend wants to find out the origin of the opening line: "It was a
>      dark and stormy night." I know that awards in honor of this famous
>      opener are given each year but cant't find any info. Can anyone help
>      me? TIA
>
>                   Mary Ann Kull, Librarian
>                    East Aurora HS
>                    E. Aurora, NY 14052