Greetings,

I've had a computer lab in my library for the last 3 years.  It's noisy.
We are remodeling our building this next year and the computer lab will be
adjoining the library with a partial glass wall and a door for easy
viewing and quick access.  I'm looking forward to teaching again in a
semi-quiet atmosphere.  Bottom line, a computer lab can work in a library
BUT the kids need to be trained to be as quiet as possible while using the
computers (and this is hard due to the fact that computers are fun,
exciting and there's so much to share with your neighbor!).  Good luck
with your decision.

Julie

                       *********************************
                       *   jbritt1@esd113.wednet.edu   *
                       *          Julie Britt          *
                       *    Olympic View Elementary    *
                       *       1330 Horne St. NE       *
                       *        Lacey, WA 98516        *
                       *********************************

On Thu, 24 Apr 1997, Medway High School wrote:

> I know this has been dragged around before but this might be a different
> slant. Our county is planning to build a new elementary school and will
> be placing a computer lab in the resource centre. Now, the powers to be
> see no need to place a wall between the library and the computer lab.
> The last six retrofits we have done in our older libraries have all had
> walls (partially glass) between these two areas and we all know the
> reason for these walls!
>
> What is the groups opinion on:
>
> a) Libraries with labs and no walls (30 computers)
>
> b) Libraries with labs and walls to seperate the lab from the rest of
> the library.
>
> Please reply ASAP as a decision will soon be made. The library
> consultant is pushing for the walls as is the librarian.
>
> TIA
>
> Paul Swan
> Teacher/Librarian
> Medway High School