I admit that the original message asking how to best censor the internet
struck a nerve with me, too.  A part of my performance evaluation is
whether or not I follow the code of ethics for librarians (which I would
without being required to by my school district) which states "Librarians
must resist all efforts by groups or individuals to censor library
materials."  In this day and age (what a cliche), the Internet is now part
of our library materials and we must be diligent in our efforts to keep
censorship out of the mix.  Certainly there should be consequences for
misuse of the network, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater!
 (Guess I am in a cliche mood right now!)

Anyhow, there're my two cents on the subject!

>Librarians at Large:
>Today's NYT 4/24/97 p. a28 has an excellent letter to the editor "Internet
>Filters Block Our Freedom to Choose."  Karen G. Schneider, a librarian wrote,
>"However you feel about filtering the Internet, this is unacceptable."  She
>goes on to talk about how filtering software represents an assault on our
>intellectual freedom that we can not affford.  Who will choose what is good
>for us?  She mentions Guy V. Molinari, the Staten Island Borought President
>reportedly pressuring the New York Public Library system to use filtering
>software.  Will this ever end?  Isn't the freedom to read supposed to be
>supported by librarians?  So what if reading material is on the internet or
>in books, magazines etc.!    Who will decide what is "acceptable" or what
>isn't?  Should Librarians support filters?
>Judith Dahill, Librarian, Murry Bergtraum HS, NY,NY jdahill38@aol.com
Julie Anderson, Librarian                (206) 813-7301
Kentwood High School                    janderso@kent.wednet.edu
25800 164th Ave SE
Kent, WA  98042                                   I think, therefore I
don't listen to Rush Limbaugh.

LM_NET Archive Home