Librarians at Large:
Today's NYT 4/24/97 p. a28 has an excellent letter to the editor "Internet
Filters Block Our Freedom to Choose."  Karen G. Schneider, a librarian wrote,
"However you feel about filtering the Internet, this is unacceptable."  She
goes on to talk about how filtering software represents an assault on our
intellectual freedom that we can not affford.  Who will choose what is good
for us?  She mentions Guy V. Molinari, the Staten Island Borought President
reportedly pressuring the New York Public Library system to use filtering
software.  Will this ever end?  Isn't the freedom to read supposed to be
supported by librarians?  So what if reading material is on the internet or
in books, magazines etc.!    Who will decide what is "acceptable" or what
isn't?  Should Librarians support filters?
Judith Dahill, Librarian, Murry Bergtraum HS, NY,NY jdahill38@aol.com

LM_NET Archive Home