>The Internet is increasingly being used to spread false and misleading
>information. An example is the dubious posting about the downing of TWA
>Flight 800 which fooled Pierre Salinger. What is disturbing about this
>incident is not that it happened to a prominent journalist, but that it
>happens *every day* on the Internet, and not just to well-known authorities
>but also to school children researching classroom assignments, doctors
>doing medical research, investors searching for business news, scientists
>assembling facts to corroborate their theories.
>
>It is incidents such as these that inspired Paul Gilster to write "Digital
>Literacy" (John Wiley & Sons), in which he shares his hard-earned tips for
>extracting the needle of truth from the online haystack. Gilster is a
>master researcher and author of six Internet books including the
>bestselling "Internet Navigator."
>
>As a contribution toward improving awareness levels online, Gilster has
>created a Primer on Digital Literacy which is being distributed to online
>libraries, colleges, universities and educational web sites. It covers some
>of the "core competencies" that should be mastered by those doing research
>online, including tips for getting the most out of search engines,
>setting-up personal news filters, and evaluating the veracity of materials
>found online.
>
>If you would like to receive a text-only version of the Primer, please send
>mailto:IPS@olympus.net with the subject line, "Send Gilster." We'll send
>back the Primer via e-mail. For more information about "Digital Literacy,"
>please visit the Wiley Computer Books web site:
>http://www.wiley.com/compbooks/

Slainte! Guam is 15 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time (USA) --
Living' in the future -- ain't Life grand!

T. K. Cassidy - Children's Librarian /// Guam Public Library
                             Resident Writer, Storyteller &  Author!! :-)
                             tkc@kuentos.guam.net
                             http://www.guam.net/home/tkc/

1270 North Marine Drive, Suite 101-424
Tamuning GUAM 96911 U S A

 April - the IRS chose well whenthey chose  the month we start by honoring
fools and end by cryng "May Day!

LM_NET Archive Home