>Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 14:46:26 -0400 (EDT)
>To: plrsnet@csn.net
>From: Diana Tope <dtope@mail.gpls.public.lib.ga.us>
>Subject: Re: follow-up on web server counts
>Sender: owner-plrsnet@lists.csn.net
>
>TO ANY of you who have any specific information about what the state library
>or any of the libraries in your states may be counting re. use of
>technology....Please send me information.  The Steering Committee will be
>meeting June 9-11 and we will be working on trying to identify and define
>some elements for FSCS gathering.  Talk to your large and small libraries
>and see what they are doing in this respect.  We really appreciate any
>information you can share with us, because we want to be sure that what we
>end up with is something that most, if not all, of the libraries will be
>able to count.  THANKS!  Diana TOpe
>

>************
>At 01:17 PM 4/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>>I think we may have a pretty good thread here, as I've already heard from
>>several of you.  Here is our webmaster's (Liz Forney) explanation of the
>>summaries used to count hits on our SILO server (our web server).
>>
>>My conclusion is that actual usage can be determined by subtracting the
>>number of hits on graphical files (gif, jpeg, etc.) from the total number of
>>files served up in response to HTTP (hypertext transfer protocols) requests.
>>
>>Liz does, I think, an excellent job of describing how the web works and the
>>way software can be used to track usage...
>>
>>Gerry Rowland
>>Iowa
>>
>>A "hit" is a successful response to an HTTP request to the Web server.
>>What this means, that every Web page requested from our Web server will
>>generate at least one hit.  Graphics images on the Web page generate
>>additional hits for a page.
>>
>>Usage counts are difficult to generate in a Web environment, as the HTTP
>>protocol is considered stateless and sessionless.  One person might visit
>>our web site and request several web pages, and generate several hits in
>>the process, even though they are one user.  In the SILO ILL system, I
>>added a session tracking module, that starts when a librarian logs in.
>>This way I can tell how many times a librarian logs in during a given  time,
>>and get some sense of the activity for that session (loans  initiated, loans
>>responded to).  This I feel is a little bit more  accurate way to detail the
>>usage of our site.
>>
>>For the non-ILL Web requests, every request is logged to the Web server
>>access log, and a success/non-success is noted in that log.  Every night  I
>>go through the Web server access log with a public domain program from  the
>>University of California called "wwwstat" and compile the number of
>>successful hits and byte counts of Web documents requested, as well as
>>track who is accessing our site by IP/DNS name.  At the end of every  month,
> [...]

Slainte! Guam is 15 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time (USA) --
Living' in the future -- ain't Life grand!

T. K. Cassidy - Children's Librarian /// Guam Public Library
                             Resident Writer, Storyteller &  Author!! :-)
                             tkc@kuentos.guam.net
                             http://www.guam.net/home/tkc/

1270 North Marine Drive, Suite 101-424
Tamuning GUAM 96911 U S A

 April - the IRS chose well whenthey chose  the month we start by honoring
fools and end by cryng "May Day!

LM_NET Archive Home