Hi guys,
Here are the response to my questions about software that will help you
keep track of your bookmarks and alert you to changing and dead URLs:

I received only these following responses and many requests for a post,
so I am hoping you find this useful.

Joyce...

I have not found a combination that will do both operations for managing my
book mark list and correcting URLs.  However I do use two programs that are
effective for me.

I use Web Buddy to catalog all of my bookmarks--I set up my own
categories and the program alphabetizes, address, and time of last visit.
Location <http://www.dataviz.com/Products/WebBuddy/WB_Home.html>

I use shareware Big Brother (for Macs) to check and correct addresses.  I
just do it on a regular basis.  You didn't indicate if you wanted program
for Mac or PC.  It is fast and does a great job.  You can download it at
<http://pauillac.inria.fr/~fpottier/><http://pauillac.inria.fr/~fpottier/>

Jean Polly in her new book Internet Kids & Family Yellow Pages states
that she uses a private Web site that she uses once a month to udate the
addresses.  You can read the information at
<http://www.netmom.com/ikyp/updates.htm>

Hope this is helpful to you.

Barbara Troisi

Without knowing which OS you're using, I offer the following:

The NONAGS site:

http://208.205.127.154/nonags/main.html    (select a location nearby)

has a section entitled Web Tools.  There I found software which might work
for you eventually. The FreeURL is developing what you need.  Their
webpage said "URL Control-spider  (this will check URL's for validity).
Planned !  ???" The program is in Beta at this time.

The TUCOWS site:

http://www.tucows.com/index.html              (select a location nearby)

listed Powermarks at    http://www.bitlogic.com/
"A bookmark management utility that will automatically check for changes to
any  bookmarks since your last visit."

and there are several HTML validators to check links if you want to upload
your bookmark.htm file to your server.

I hope this helps.
Joyce N. Church

If I remember correctly, you mentioned at ALA in NYC last summer that you
often use a Powerbook or other laptop.
So...here's what I use on my Mac Powerbook 5300...
I just got a shareware item called URL Manager Pro..a demo is available
and you can do a web search for it and then download it.

This is a wonderful and inexpensive answer to my prayers as far as managing
the mountain of items that I need for various projects.

As far as discovering dead links, I think that another piece of software
called Hot Sauce does this.  Hot Sauce is mentioned in the URL Manager Pro
package and described therein, but I just haven't had the time to pursue
that one yet.

Diane Neary
Middle School Librarian   Poly Prep Country Day School   Brooklyn, NY

My good buddy swears by HotMetlPro with Information Manager. The link
checker is worth the price alone! Windows native!

Peter Milbury, Co-owner of LM_NET

Someone asked for info on software that would advise of changes to
specified URL's.  The following site does just that -- sends you e-mail
when pages you have specified change.  You can register as many URLs as
you want to and there is no charge:
         http://www.netmind.com/URL-minder/

Sarah Lantz

Try the new Internet Explorer; it lets you 'subscribe' to links. Download
for free from www.microsoft.com.
Peter Pellemans

        Netscape will do some of that for you. In 3.01 you can go to
Windows/Bookmarks and click on File -- What's new.  Netscape will
check each bookmark and note which ones are not active. It's just a
quick and dirty check, not the automated one you're looking for.

Dan Robinson

Joyce Kasman Valenza
<jvalenza@mciunix.mciu.k12.pa.us> or joyce.valenza@phillynews.com
Wissahickon High School Library      Philadelphia Inquirer  tech.k12
521 Houston Road                     http://gopher.mciu.k12.pa.us/~jvweb
Ambler, PA  19002
Phone: 215-628-1735
Fax: 215-643-2920

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST