REPAIR SUPPLIES

Most important tip: repair early saves time and money.
Most hard learned tip:  Don't use cheap supplies
Basic Supply kit must's:
   - Wooden splints (ask balsam project OM team for rejects)
   - Acid-free glue (I should work for KAPCO--great products--they will
send you FREE a repair kit and "HOW-TO" information)
   - Rubber bands
   - Easy bind (1" and 2")
   - Paperback covers really save--don't forget to apply glue at top and
bottom where pages join spine--really increases life of book.
   -Scissors
   -845 3M Tape (no substitutes) 1" and 3" great for repairing spines

Heavy books often pull away from the cover.
To repair:  Use acid-free glue.  DO NOT GLUE the spine.  Stand the book
upright and gently squeeze glue down inside the book between the actual
cover and the heavy paper MAKING SURE IT DOES NOT GO ONTO THE BOOK'S
SPINE OR THE COVER'S SPINE.  Use rubber bands and wood splints to secure
the book after
applying the glue.
          Splint goes into creases
               '  ________
              ( \\
                 \\                         Rubber bands top to bottom
                  \\                         Rubber bands horizontally
                      \\_glue _____
                       ( _________]

(Harriet Hilfinger)

        Buy the repair tape with the peel-off backing.  It is a lot easier to
work with than the rolls without.  (Luann Maher)

        Fast and easy:  You can use regular Elmer's liquid glue to reglue pages
to the spines; just squeeze thin stream down the back of the pages,
place covers firmly around, hold with many strong rubberbands, and let
sit overnight under something heavy.  Next morning, remove rubber bands
and books is ready to go.  The glue will last just as long as the
"expensive" kind found in library materials catalogs.  Most important -
try to repair as you go - if you let the books wait you could end up
with piles and piles to repair.  I do a few everyday, as quick and easy
as I can.   (Adrienne Spiegel)

        Real book glue, not Elmer's for book repair.  Unlike regular white glue
book glue is flexible when it dries! (Camille Atkins)

        We use a hot glue gun for tons of repair.  Best investment we made!
(Patti Tjomsland)

        At all times have your hot glue gun handy.  Not plugged in, but sitting
ready and willing to zip down the edge of a book needing love.   They
are a MUST have.  (R. Jean Gustafson)

        ou MUST have a glue gun!! It will repair almost anything.  Covers,
bindings ...it does it all.  (Sandy Metcalf)

        Use Demco's Norbond to glue in loose pages.  Also--stress to students
that they should _not_ tape/glue damaged books.   It is a job for the
librarian, or well-trained helper.  (Can't tell you how many books have
been returned with black electrical tape or duct tape repairs!)
(Gloria Young)

        When I took book repair  from Gaylord,  they taught us to use wax paper
between the hard cover and dust page when gluing the spine back in
place.  Nothing sticks!  (Lyn Crawford)

        Get one of those huge tape dispensers for clear 3M tapes from Highsmith
or one of the jobbers and buy lots of those 4-inch rolls of clear
plastic tape.  Use it to put tape TIGHTLY on any spines that are getting
raggedy.  Your collection will be greatly enhanced in appearance and
longevity.  It is easy, and the dispenser lasts FOREVER.  (Donna Cook)

        When working with tape that is sticky on the back, keep a deep glass
with water handy.  Dip your scissors in the water before cutting the
tape and the scissors will not stick to the tape.  (Leesie Falgout)

        Buy the repair tape with the peel-off backing.  It is a lot easier to
work with than the rolls without.  (Luann Maher)

        Don't use that hideous colored book tape.  As soon as it is on a book,
the kids avoid the book.  I use a combination of glue and clear tape for
most repairs.  (Ginny Waples)

        When you have to repair a spine and cover it with opaque repair tape,
it's a lot easier and snazzier-looking to use something like the
Clariswork draw program to print the new spine information than to try
to use that awful transfer pen.  (Paula Neale)

 To quit LM_NET (or set NOMAIL or DIGEST), Send an email message to:
 listserv@listserv.syr.edu          In the message write either:
 1)  SIGNOFF LM_NET         or
 2)  SET LM_NET NOMAIL      or
 3)  SET LM_NET DIGEST